Before reading this article please accept the fact that we probably have spent more time exploring places far away from home than we have the sites of our own area or region.
Ask yourself when was your last holiday in hometown. You wouldn’t be able to recall.
Here we are to explain staycation -A holiday spent in your own city with the feeling of travelling beyond city.
What is Staycation ?
Staycation means nothing more than spending a vacation in your backyard. Its a one day trip which ends at home as last destination. An enthusiastic traveler like you and me found staycation out of necessity to go for vacation.
Camping in your own backyard, attending events like marathon, playing at fun street, volunteering at NGO, having weekends at weekend villa, tasting the street food and at the end enjoying the vacation by staying at your own home is staycation.
Google Searches for Staycations were up by 10% year over year from 2011-2014, and the trend of having holiday closer to home is predicted to continue from 2016.
This is Because :
- Staycations are instant. A random trip to nearby places with close ones are much more fascinating than a planned itinerary.
- You explore your unexplored hometown.
- A journey with comfort and luxury which ends in own bed.
- Vacation isn’t possible for every weekend but staycation is. Not everyone here is a freelancer, but that doesn’t mean your travel dreams gets compromised. Go for staycations, look for weekend getaways near your hometown and explore them with friends and families. You will definitely love it
How to make your staycation interesting ?
- Find a local festival- Attend an event like marathon, a commerce fair or a fun fair. Who cannot attend a marathon..?? Most of the town authorities and corporate entities organize marathon almost on regular intervals. One must attend them, it builds our social profile and diverts us from our daily cubical life.
- Be a hometown tourist – Hashtaging your city and loitering in the hometown is quite interesting. Ever thought about hashtaging your own town, its local food, local market, or a specialty product and making it popular over social sites. If not, then go for a staycation and highlight your city.
- Fun street in your town is one of the best staycation idea. Play real games with people instead of playing in play station or mobile phone games. It is the best way to make your Sunday happening. From musical performances and live portraits by young artist to riding bicycles and roaming around with kids and elders in rolling skates. Waking up at 6 am on lazy Sunday morning is worth seeing this vibrant and colorful event.
Events like international yoga day, awareness rallies, comedy nights and streets plays are part of staycation, these things makes staycation more captivating.
- Be an organizer – Make staycation interesting by organizing an event or a journey to nearby destination. This can be a beach, an island, or any other nearby park. A voluntary activity like tree plantation, visit to NGO etc can also be organized.
- Out of your routine, spare time for your hobby and pursue your passion. You can occupy yourself in wall painting programmes or any such activities done in the town.
- Re-do Yourself – organize a day in which you have only METIME. Go for a walk, visit yoga classes, go for a spa treatment, buy new clothes, and come back to home with a Re-Do movement.
Volunteering at NGO, old age home or at temple gives you the of joy of giving. You can find free volunteering programs in countries like India, but in developed nations in Europe and American countries you have to pay for being a volunteer. On one staycation you can plan to volunteer and serve the society for betterment of it.
- Gone are those days? – Those days aren’t gone where you can have an overnight stay at your local friend’s home, visit a farmhouse and do star gazing.
- Unplug yourself. Stay away from gadgets and widgets. Since mobile phones and notebooks are on the verge of their uses, we are loosing the ME TIME and real connection with people. Though they are need but up to certain limits. Try to stay away from it at least once in a month and enjoy your vacation as staycation.
- Have a research on nearby places and how to reach that. This will avoid wastage of time when Activities are planned. there is plenty of information online to help you in planning, so create an inspiration board to keep it organised at one place.
Share your staycation ideas in comment section and inspire travelers to explore their own home town more and more.